September 7, 2008

your rationalization reveals your soul

You’ve seen this clown-- the half evangelical, half circus act that plants himself around universities, city centers, or wherever else the scent of sin settles into a thick dew and secularism endures almost as well as was intended by our Founding Fathers. He squats a local grassy mound, hill, stage, knoll, or whatever other vantage allows him to yell and yell and be heard all the while manically waving his Bible like a wand that just might, with the grace of God, render these troubled iPod adorned souls spellbound. Let’s call our esteemed patron of the Lord Fred, the graced, the pious, the blessed, the sacred warrior.

Few listen to Fred, and probably zero sequentially credit his sermon for the sudden overpowering presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives. And I think I understand why. Fred does not preach subtly. This might be our fault: it’s rather hard to grab the attention of godless fiends without a little hint of extremism, maybe a dash of racism, pinch of disguised hate. Try to imagine Fred posted on his sad little hill talking nonsense like “forgive trespasses” or “turn the other cheek.” What a joke.

But, in spite of this, I don't think it is our fault. I think Fred-- Fred the devout, the righteous, the faithful-- passionately and unconditionally loves the Lord with all his being. Fred prepares to speak at that day’s chosen grassy, crowded place and feels the Lord lift him. “Give me courage, Lord; give me strength; give me the words.” Fred speaks. Harshly but honestly.

Let me pause here. For now, I am not very interested in Fred’s story-- not his intentions, or his background, or his particular flavor of Christianity. I am more interested in the Christian that heard his sermon on the street. “He gives Christians a bad name!” they'll say. “He’s not a true Christian!”

Fred-- our esteemed Christian zealot-- is not a true Christian? Now, wait a minute. I understand that Fred might have some ingrained extremist, racist, and apocalyptic thoughts, but he read the Bible just as you. Page by page, Fred formed the Christian foundation that now defines his life and drives his heart. Go ahead and try preaching to Fred. Try to shake up Fred’s roots with some Scripture that seemingly contradicts his actions and he will just as quickly bellow a rationalization or additional Scripture that counters your point. This happens so frequently within Christian circles. If you’re Christian, I urge you to read the Scripture that motivates the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) to commit their horrid actions in the name of the Lord.

As you read their proof (supported by Scripture) that God does not love everyone, you’ll be inclined to say “No, they’re interpreting the Scripture incorrectly.” But not so fast. Read those lines again. Do they loosely support the claims of the WBC? Yes. Other than simply recalling your understanding of the Bible and Christianity, can you explain why one interpretation (yours) should supersede theirs? No. The problem here is that the Bible is infinitely interpretable. One can manipulate its words to reflect whatever backward and narrow-minded or uplifting and inclusive message they wish. Thankfully, overall, mainstream Christianity preaches a message of hope and benevolence. But one cannot claim that the interpretations of the WBC are not at least as solid as mainstream Christianity’s interpretation of when life begins or whether homosexual marriage should be prohibited by law.

So the next time you see Fred, don’t get angry at him and call his sermon blasphemous. Rather, consider Fred a gift-- a symbol of the malleability of the Bible. Let Fred remind you that you needn’t pursue petty intolerances just because someone’s slanted interpretation of the Bible asks otherwise.

1 comment:

joshua said...

Hey James,

It's Josh again. I noticed you posted my evangelical atheists note on your page. Thanks. I'll have to say I'm sorry first of all for not responding to our facebook note in the last few weeks. School started and work picked up so I've been rather busy. But, I think I'm ready to continue our discussion. Would you rather do it here, on my blog (http://web.me.com/moran.josh) or back on facebook?

I haven't read all of your posts yet but I'm getting ready to look through them.

ps. i found this page through jonquils note page.